Regulation of Adult-Use (Recreational) Marijuana
In 2016, over 54% of Natick residents voted in favor of legalizing adult use ("recreational") marijuana in Massachusetts. Since that vote, the Commonwealth has worked to establish regulations and a governing entity (known as the Cannabis Control Commission (CCC)) to license marijuana establishments in the State. Because the majority of Natick residents voted in favor of the legalization of adult use marijuana, the Town must now determine the best approach for regulating this use for the benefit and safety of the Natick community.
In October 2018, Natick Town Meeting voted to 1) create the local zoning necessary to permit Adult Use Marijuana Establishments, and 2) authorize the Board of Selectmen to issue licenses for Adult Use Marijuana Establishments. Town Meeting limited the number of Retail Marijuana Establishments to two (2) – or “limited to twenty percent (20%) of the number of licenses issued within the Town for the retail sale of alcoholic beverages not to be drunk on the premises where sold pursuant to G.L. c.138 §15”
The adopted zoning and general bylaw amendments are provide below for reference.
- October 2018 – Adoption of local zoning and general bylaw amendments
- December 2018 – Attorney General’s approval of zoning and general bylaw amendments
- Spring 2019 – Board of Health review and issue regulations
- Spring/Summer 2019 – Board of Selectmen establish Rules and Regulations for Licensing of Adult Use Marijuana Establishments
- Spring/Summer 2019 – BOS release RFI/RFQ process and timeline for the submission, review, and issuance of up to two (2) Adult Use Marijuana Retail establishments.
At this time, the Town of Natick is not accepting applications for Adult Use Marijuana Establishments until such time that the Board of Selectmen are able to establish Rules and Regulations for Licensing such establishments, per the timeline noted above.
This page will be updated on a regular basis as the local regulatory approval process continues over the next several months. Please email the the Board of Selectmen (email@example.com) with any questions or comments.
- CED RMO West Map 2019
- CED RMO Central Map 2019
- CED RMO East Map 2019
- CED IMO Oak St Map 2019
- Adult Use Marijuana Zoning Amendment Regulations Town Meeting FINAL VOTE Motions B-F
- Adult Use Marijuana Zoning Amendment Regulations Town Meeting FINAL VOTE Motion A
- Adult Use Marijuana General Bylaw Amendment Licensing FINAL VOTE
- CCC Regulations on Adult Use Regulations
- Marijuana Powerpoint for Community Forum
- Recreational Marijuana Forum Presentation