The existing town owned and maintained dam spanning the Charles River in South Natick was constructed in 1934. The dam is regulated by permit issued by the Department of Conservation and Recreation Office Dam Safety (DCR-ODS). The dam is considered to have a High Hazard potential by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation Office of Dam Safety (DCR-ODS). The Town utilizes the services of a professional consultant to perform safety and condition inspections of the dam. Based on these biennial inspections and per guidance of DCR-ODS, the Town is moving towards rehabilitation, repair, or removal of the Charles River Dam.
Significant and historic properties and public park space abut both sides of the Dam. This area is near the historic Bacon Free Library property and is a popular and well attended attraction for residents and visitors.