Office of the Town Clerk
For more election and voting information please check the voting & election information page.
- Often considered the gateway to local government and the community, the Office of the Town Clerk serves as the central information point for residents and visitors alike.
- The Town Clerk is the chief election official, recording official, registrar of vital records, public records official, and licensing officer.
- The Town Clerk oversees the polling places and the conduct of all elections and election-related activity, and records all actions of town meetings.
- The Clerk’s Office maintains the Town By-Laws and Town Charter, the official town bulletin board, oaths of office, appointments and resignations of all town officials.
- The Clerk’s Office issues state licenses and permits, including marriage licenses, business certificates and renewals, dog licenses, raffle / bazaar permits and certified requests for public documents.
- The Clerk and staff are commissioners to qualify public officers and also respond to inquiries from the public as well as from other departments, boards and committees.
It is the mission of the Office of the Town Clerk to be a primary provider of courteous, competent and efficient service to the community resulting in public confidence and respect for the government. We are dedicated to the preservation of the Town’s vital records and historical documents for the benefit of future generations. We respect the right to vote as a fundamental civil right and will assure that all elections are conducted in a fair and open manner providing equal access to all citizens.